The Standards Working Group brought together experts from the range of digital repository
activities within Oxford. The primary purpose of the group was to develop an interoperable services framework for a
federated institutional repository. The Group defined the discrete repository services required to support research,
education and administration; and maintained a registry of standards for interoperability. The group was also
intended as a forum for sharing information and expertise between the different activities. The group reported to
the Digital Repositories Steering Group and was chaired by a member of the Steering Group.
The remit of the Standards Working Group was to:
- Consolidate and, where appropriate, develop user scenarios for repository services within the education,
research and administration domains;
- Define the broad set of repository services required to support specific processes within the above domains;
- Undertake a gap analysis with reference to the current repository activities and recommend to the Digital Repositories Steering Group priorities for development;
- Identify the key standards for interoperability between repository services (technical, semantic and organisational);
- Raise awareness about, and make recommendations concerning, technical innovations, training and support requirements, sustainability, policy and other issues relating to repository development and deployment.
- Member appointed by the Oxford Digital Repositories Steering Group (Chair)
- Digital Repositories Research Coordinator
- Up to 8 members were drawn from existing digital repository projects within Oxford (see the list at http://www.ict.ox.ac.uk/repositories/index.xml?ID=body.1_div.4).
It was proposed that the group meets six times per academic year and makes use of an email list and dedicated website at other times.
April 2007. Michael Fraser.