Skip to Navigation
3. Practical Guidelines
All bulk email messages should contain the following information:
- Subject line: with clearly stated subject
- From: line that contains the email address of sender which must be a
valid address. To be used to collect failures.
- Reply To: optional, which is the preferred address for a reply.
- To: email address or list being sent to
- content line that includes University group/s to which the mass email is being
- signature information with identifiable information about the sender
- do not use Cc which will reveal email address of other recipients
- instructions for the recipient to request not to get such mail
- be text only. This will enable your message to be read by the widest number of
devices eg mobile phones, linux machines, and does not assume the reader has access to
the same software you used to create the message.
- be less than approx 200 words. If longer than two paragraphs, put the details on a
web page and send the url in the message.
- not contain attachments
- be targeted to the people who are likely to be interested in the content eg students
for exam instructions, women for a 'women only' course, congregation for voting,
freshers for fresher events. People get very angry if they receive inappropriate mail
especially from 'official' bodies.
Up: Contents Previous: 2. General Guidelines Next: 4. Software for mass mailings
Maintained by: OUCS Webmaster (email@example.com)
14th Dec 2009. Beth Crutch.