ITSSG Meeting - Hilary Term 2007
Wednesday 14th February 2007, 2.30pm Harris Manchester College
Present: Tony Brett, Malcolm Austen, Jeremy Worth, Ian Miller, Sarah Lawson, Katherine Craddock, Simon Ellis, Simon Thomson, Pete Biggs, Natasha Heaton, Niall Hedderley, Neil Jeffries
1. Apologies for absence
John Ireland, Steve Pierce
2. Minutes of last meeting (available on website)
Accepted as a true record.
3. Matters arising
ITS3 can do registration tasks but this is an addition to Registration not a substitute
Concern arose about course costs. Course costs need to be in IT budgets. ITS3 could spend more time developing and giving courses. General agreement that if training is wanted then departments need to be realistic about course provision. If departments want new technologies they have to invest in skills development for IT Staff. Could a survey be done to determine which courses IT Staff normally want to go on. Possibly a discussion for ICT Forum
4. Committee Membership (vacancies and elections)
Should be changing membership as some posts have expired - some are elected and some are appointed by their parent bodies. Chair suggests that we stay as we are until more is known about ICT Strategy implementation and after the 2007 conference has happened. Will review situation immediately after 2007 conference. Chair was not sure Divisions were ready to appoint ITSSG reps.
5. ITS3 Report
Courses have been organised. ITS3 helping to coordinate cleartext switchoff.
O’Reilly Bookshelf: Tony has liaised with SERS. History Faculty is paying 2-300 pounds. ITSSG is potentially prepared to put money into this. Technet subscription funding could possibly be diverted as technet is now largely available online. Possibly OUCS is paying?
6. Mentoring Scheme
Tie in with new ITSS induction. Advantage of inclusively. Gives people permission. Concerns about time available for mentoring. Buddying is perhaps a better word – it could be done online? Group doesn’t want to make it too formal otherwise it would be seen as too much of a time drain. ITS3 should contact the Oxford Learning Institute for advice. Buddying doesn’t need to be one way either. ITS3 to proceed with a trial system.
These are now sorted out. Our financial position is at around £5900. There needs to be some adjustment on the Oracle Financials system to properly reflect this. EML financial donation was £3500 for December 06 exhibition. Conference fees from Catz will be £9,498 for 2007 conference.
8. ICT Strategy
Responses have been gathered on the ICT Strategy Website. TB to ask PJ what is happening and report back to ITSSG. Assuming all is on course.
9. ICT Forum (terms of reference and ITSSG)
Discussion was had about the ICTF including how the chair is appointed and if that position should be unavailable to certain people in OUCS etc. Trinity Term meeting would coincide with the IT Support Staff Conference. ICT Support Team membership needs careful consideration. ITSSG decided that this should not be the case. Pete Biggs will submit a revised constitution to ITSSG by Friday 16th Feb 2007. Meeting zero to be planned for 9th week of HT07. Pete to liaise with Dave Rischmiller about setting this up.
10. ITSS Conference 2007
Meetings planned. 2pm Tues 20th Feb and Mon 5th March, OUCS Turing Room. All to bring ideas for workshops.
11. Social Events
Dinner is provisionally planned for 9th March 2007 at HMC. Cost is now £32.50 for three courses and one glass of wine. 30 is the minimum requirement. Natasha to liaise with ITS3 about opening booking to see who will come.
Christmas dinner late Nov/early Dec. Natasha to liaise
BBQ - Try again. Perhaps on a more informal basis. Natasha to ask Anthropology.
Pub lunches will be restarted by ITS3
12. Any Other Business
ITSS “moonlighting” list was discussed. Issue of ownership was an issue. ITSSG decided this was an issue that is too fraught with pitfalls.
13. Next Meeting:
Weds 23rd May, Van Houten Room, University Offices, Wellington Square
Tony Brett, Feb 2007