Table of contents
1. ICT Forum Mission Statement
ICTF provides a framework that promotes and facilitates excellence incorporating
the full involvement of ICT Staff in both the strategic development and
day-to-day running of ICT in the Collegiate University.
2. ICT Forum Terms of Reference
ICTF is a body that represents all whose job function includes delivery or
support of ICT throughout the Collegiate University.
- is a representative group for all ICT Staff;
- is a group to communicate and promote the views and interests of ICT Staff
in the University’s ICT Coordinated Decision Making structure;
- is a single known point of contact for bodies in the University to consult
- is a professional forum for the exchange of experiences, ideas and best
- gives its members privileges in contacting service providers;
- has a high priority in requesting ICT enhancements with service providers;
- is in a position to initiate its own projects deemed appropriate by its
members and to seek funding for those projects where necessary;
- is a broker in introducing local projects to the wider University;
- is a broker in introducing projects from the wider University to ICT
- facilitates the exchange and trading of skills; together with access to
staff development and training schemes.
3. ICT Forum Constitution
- The ICT Forum shall exist to serve all whose job function includes support
of ICT throughout the Collegiate University.
- It shall be comprised of those who it exists to serve.
- The list of members of the IT Support Staff Register will be the members
of the Forum.
- Open meetings of the ICT Forum shall be held at least once each term,
normally in week 9.
- The Chair shall be elected for three years by the ICT Forum. The Chair
shall be eligible for a second period of office but may not then stand for
re-election until a further two years have elapsed.
- The Secretary shall be elected for three years by the ICT Forum. The
Secretary shall be eligible for a second period of office but may not then
stand for re-election until a further two years have elapsed.
- At the end of the term of office of either the Chair or the Secretary
there shall be an election for that post. The election will occur at the
last meeting prior to the end of the term of office and the secretariat
shall send notification of the election to all representatives asking for
nominations at least 14 days before the meeting. If there is more than one
nomination there will be a ballot.
- The post of Chair may be held by any person and that of Secretary by any
member of the ICT Forum (except members of ITS3), provided that both are in
the employment of the University or its colleges.
- The ICTF Steering Committee may at any time require the Chairman or
Secretary to stand down and for an election to take place. This clause may
only be enacted if at least 25 members of ICTF have signed a petition
requesting the action.
- The meetings of the ICT Forum are open to any member of the Forum, and it
is suggested that at least one representative of each University Unit be
- At the meetings of the ICT Forum the following will occur:
- service providers shall report on progress and future plans and
receive members reactions to the services provided and planned. Examples
of service providers are bodies such as Computing Services, Libraries
Services and Business Services and Projects, but all bodies providing
ICT services to the Collegiate University will be encouraged to provide
- the IT Support Staff Services section of the Computing Services (ITS3)
- any representatives of ICTF on other committees and groups will
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs) may supply written reports of their
activities. Representatives may highlight significant parts of their
report and take questions.Notwithstanding the statutory reports, it
should be clear that the primary purpose of the meetings of the ICT
Forum is discussion and not reporting.
- The ICT Forum shall appoint a representative to be a member of the PRAC
ICT Subcommittee. The position will normally be held by the Chairman of the
- The ICT Forum will appoint representatives to other committees and groups
- The ICT Forum shall have no executive authority but will make
representations through its representatives (as defined in 13 above) to the
PRAC ICT Subcommittee.
- This constitution may be amended by any ordinary meeting of the ICTF,
including the AGM. Proposals for such changes must be notified to the
ICTF Chairman and Secretary no later than Monday of the fifth week of
term so they may be discussed by the Steering Committee and then circulated
by e-mail to the ICT-A (itss-announce) mailing list at least 10 working
days before the meeting. A two-thirds majority vote (of those present
at the meeting) is required for such changes.
4. ICTF Steering Committee
The ICTF Steering Committee (ICTFSC) will oversee the operation of the ICTF. Its
functions will include
- co-ordinating with the University bodies such as the PRAC ICT SC, Director
of ICT, etc., to provide members of sub groups when necessary;
- organising an annual ICTF conference;
- organising and co-coordinating training, workshops and seminars of
relevance to IT Support, in collaboration with ITS3;
- Monitoring and advising on the activities of ITS3, particularly the
maintenance of the ITSS register.
The Steering Committee will be led by the Secretary of the ICTF and will meet at
least once a term, usually just prior to the ICTF termly meeting.
The membership of the ICTFSC will be
- The Secretary of ICTF
- The Chair of ICTF
- The Head of OUCS' IT Support Staff Services
- 6 people elected by the members of the ICTF, elected on a rolling two-per-year cycle
- Up to a further 3 people may be co-opted by the ICTFSC
to serve until the next Trinity Term ICTF meeting (normally
at the ICTF Conference, just after term). Such co-options
should aim to increase the cross-college and department
representation on ICTFC.
- People may be co-opted by the ICTFSC to fill unfilled or vacated elected
posts until the next Trinity Term ICTF meeting.
Secretarial services for the ICTF and its Steering Committee will be provided by
ITS3 and its staff members will attend ICTFSC meetings.
5. Glossary of Terms/Acronyms
- University top-level Planning and Resource Allocation Committee
- ICT Subcommittee of PRAC
- The previous University ICT Committee, superseded by PICT.
- The ICT Forum
- ICTF Steering Committee
- The previous IT Support Staff group, serving under ICTC, superseded by
- The Annual Oxford IT Support Staff Conference (to be renamed the ICTF
Conference from 2008)
- Oxford University Computing Services
- Business Services and Projects (part of Central Admin)
- IT Support Staff Services (part of OUCS)
- Oxford University Library Services
- ECE Project
- Enhanced Computing Environment Project, currently working to enhance and
unify desktop PC provision in Libraries, OUCS and Central Admin.
- Academic Services and University Collections Division (the division in
which OUCS exists)
Maintained by: OUCS Webmaster (firstname.lastname@example.org) 2008-01-25. Pete Biggs.